Which MIDI Keyboard Controllers & Computer DJ Controllers Will Fit Into the Big Namba Studio Backpack?

The Ultimate Musician or DJ BackpackAs the Namba Gear designers were doing their research on the ultimate perfect size for the Big Namba Studio Backpack, they were also keeping in mind the current carry-on size restrictions of the airline industry. Although there is a standard, which is 22″ x 14″ x 9″ or 45″ total, every airline has their own size restrictions which can sometimes vary even within a single airline depending on the size of aircraft or the attitude of the check-in agent.

So we had to look at both the exterior size of the backpack as well as try to maximise the interior space to include the largest number of controllers. M-Audio’s Axiom25 was chosen as the measuring stick, because we knew that if we could get this “big boy” to fit and still follow the airline restrictions that we would be in good shape with most of the controllers on the market.

This lead to the development of the unhinging side on the large compartment, so that the backpack could open 180 degrees and the controller could actually be packed into a flat case.

Unfortunately, that did leave a few controllers unprotected and stranded on the sidewalk because they were just too big to fit our criteria for us to recommend them for the Big Namba.

The Korg25 is listed at 19.25″ inches long and although it is only .25″ longer than the Big Namba Studio Backpack’s interior dimension, it stretches the bag uncomfortably. The Novation XioSynth 25 which has on-board sounds as well as being a MIDI controller is a little wide at 12.54″. Likewise, the Stanton CM.205/CM.203 dj controllers are just a little fat at 4.29″ depth to recommend packing alongside your laptop. These Korg, Novation & Stanton controllers can be made to fit, just not with our recommendation considering the bag design. The Yamaha KX-25 at just under 20″ long and the Korg MicroX at 23.86″ long will not fit; don’t even try.

So what controllers do fit inside a Big Namba Studio Backpack?

KEYBOARD CONTROLLERS

Vestex VCI-300

Alternative Controllers

Akai MPD16
M-Audio Trigger Finger
M-Audio XSession Pro
Korg PadKontrol

The result is a backpack that will accommodate a majority of controllers and should still fit in the overhead compartment of most airlines, bearing in mind that each airline can change their minds about size restrictions and some smaller planes will simply not accommodate anything much bigger that a construction worker’s lunchbox. Sorry about having to include the caveat, but it is true.

So what did we miss? If you have a question about whether a particular controller will fit inside a Big Namba Studio Backpack and it is not on the list, please comment and let us know so that we can investigate.

Check out this product SPOTLIGHT video of the Big Namba Studio Backpack

Read Related Articles Namba Gear

Get Your Namba Gear

41 Comments

1. Does this bag protect if it rains?

2. Tyler says:

How in the world will my buddies Xponent fit into this bag but they say I cannot fit my Xiosynth 25? I really wan’t this bag but I am not willing to give up the xiosynth for it.. If it falls under the category of “fits but not our recommendation considering the bag design”.. So does it stretch the bag, or is it in a spot where other things will be able to get to it without the bag protecting it? I don’t understand.

3. karl says:

Will it hold a 15″ laptop, and akai mpk25, and a native instrument maschine at the same time.

4. Lars says:

My question revolves around MPK25 and MacBook Pro 15. Are there any pictures that detail how the compartments are separated. The bags look beautiful and might tic all the boxes but was just curious about this one detail. Thanks

5. sheepstarr says:

Hi folks, could really do with one of these for my live setup.
    will it fit a macbook pro 2007 model 17inch / apc40 / motu unltralite mk1 and all the power packs and leads?
    If it does you got a sale.

Merry Christmass

6. luca says:

possible to fit akai apc40 + 15″ inch laptop + motu ultralite audo interface? thanks

7. Mazz says:

It appears that the bag will fit a Novation SL MK2 25. Can you verify this for me? Thanks!

Mazz

8. Ryan says:

just wondering im a drummer could i fit a 14 by 8 inch snare drum in the main compartment??????

9. Tran says:

Aight, here’s what I want to be carrying around with me at all times:
    April 2010 Macbook Pro 15″ (should be the same size as all other 15.4″ MBP),
    M-Audio Axiom Pro 25 (i’m not sure if it’s the same size as the axiom original),
    Native Instruments Maschine 1.5, Monster Turbine Pro Copper Headphones.
    Yes, I’ve read the post from karl about a year ago, but do you know for sure if all these will fit? Also, will all the knobs, sliders, pad, etc. be safe (back compartment and front compartment)? If so, this will be great for my setup.

10. Tran says:

Also, should I just go and get the Lil Namba for this setup? Or will my Axiom Pro 25 not fit in the Lil Namba? I want my 15″ Macbook to be snug and I understand the Big Namba are designed for 17″ laptops.

11. James says:

Hi will this fit a 17″ MBP + an AKAI APC40?

12. Luc says:

Hi Woody, i was puzzled about the possibility to fit all of this in the namba bigpack:

Native instruments Maschine
    + Dell Studio 17
    + MOTU MK3 Ultralite soundcard
    + Novation Remote SL 25 MKII
    (+ Novation Launchpad => would be nice but optional )

Here are the dimensions of most of the gear for reference.
    -Dell studio 17 :
    Dimensions & Weight
    Width: 16.28″ (413.6mm)
    Height: 1.1″ (27.7mm) front / 1.54″ (39.0mm) back
    Depth: 11.04″ (280.6mm)

-MOTU ultralite:
    Chassis dimensions, excluding rack ears and front and back panel knobs and connectors: 9.5 x 7 x 1.75 inches (24.13 x 17.78 x 4.45 cm). Knobs and connectors extend up to 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) from front and back panels, adding 1 inch (2.54 cm) to depth

-Novation remote SL25 MKII:
    Size (25 key): W=468mm, H=68mm, D=293mm

-Native instruments maschine:
    Dimensions: (WxHxL) 12.6 11.6 x 2.4″ (320 x 295 x 60mm)

Hope that fits as i would love to get this bag.
    Thanks

13. James says:

Great, Im guessing they wouldnt fit into the smaller remix pack?

Does anyone sell Namba in the UK? or do I have to mission it to the US?
    thanks

14. Kevin says:

Hey, thanks for all your prompt replies to folks asking questions. It’s certainly appreciated.

I’m hoping to find space for an Apple MBP 15″, and Akai LPK25, a Novation Launchpad, an external hard drive, a NI Kore 2 controller, and a set of Sennheiser HD580s. Seems unlikely, but I thought I’d post on here and give it a shot. Thanks for your time.

15. Wayne says:

So no luck on the Xone DX or the new Traktor S4?

16. Josh says:

Hi,

Just wondering, I have a Qosmio laptop that measures 18 x 11.75….will that fit into the laptop compartment? Thanks in advance.

17. Will this bag fit the Numark Mixtrack?

18. RIO says:

Just got my Namba Big Studio Backpack. Maschine,Macbook Pro 15, Novation remote 25sl, and apogee duet fit perfectly in the bag. Best investment this year

RIO
    MAB PRODUCTIONz
    “MUZIK 4 THA WORLD”

19. TJ says:

Hi Woody,

I need a bag for a Denon MC6000 – will I need the Big Namba or could I get away with the smaller Remix bag?

Thanks!

20. Hi there.

does this fit the KONTROL S4 from native instruments together with a 17″ MacBook Pro?

# Depth: 32,2cm
    # Height: 5,2cm
    # Width: 50cm

Thanx in advance!

Ian Dee Grees

21. Noah says:

Hi there,

Big fan of your gear. OHM64 USERS!! The newest generation of the Ohm 64 will NOT fit in the LilNamba Remix Bag.

The dimensions of the controller seem to suggest that it would, but since the Ohm64 is angled and deeper at the back than the front, it makes it just a bit too tight when wedged in to the main compartment.

So to be clear, technically it will fit, but at the expense of potential damage to the knobs across the top of the controller. Just too close for comfort, in my opinion.

Go for the Big Namba, very confident that it will fit the Ohm64, 15′ MBP, PreSonus Saffire Pro 24 DSP interface, some cans and cabling.

Thanks!

22. mario says:

Hola Woody, ya poseo una Namba Big studio pack, quisiera saber si un korg microkontrol cabe en ella.
    la lista de euipo seria asi:

-macbook 13″ o 15″
    -korg microkontrol?
    -rme fireface 400
    -lacie quadra 1tb hard disk

Mi duda viene a raiz de que voy a adquirir un controlador pequeño y me estoy decantando por el microkontrol por tener mas teclas, aca van las medias por si acaso 524(W) x 232(D) x 70(H)mm.

Saludos desde Argentina.

23. Mario says:

Gracias Woody por tu respuesta ya podré tener esto en cuenta a la hora de elegir un pequeño teclado.
    Pasaba de paso a comentar que estoy teniendo un problema con la costura de unos de los cierres por algún motivo a parecer había venido un hilo suelto y el cierre perdió unos cuentos puntos de costura en un sector del cierre mas grande, la mochila tiene muy poco uso y no la sobre cargue como debería, que puedo hacer con este defecto de fabrica?
    Desde ya gracias, espero puedan responder mi inquietud!

saludos atentamente!

24. martin says:

Hi Woody was hoping you could tell me will the arturia analog experience factory controller (dimensions 48.5cm * 25cm * 6cm) fit into the big namba studio backpack, it seems to be borderline from what I have tried to figure out from other controllers that fit.

25. Martin says:

Hi Woody just wonderin did you get a chance to figure out if the arturia analogue factory controller fits into the namba big studio.

26. papi says:

Hello. I want to know which Namba bag will fit the Reloop Digital Jockey 3 controller? It is W-17″ x L-12″ x H-2″. Which of the backpacks do I buy?

27. Tiny Johnson says:

Hello. Lovely bag.

My problem is that my ‘laptop’ is not a laptop at all – it is a desktop replacement. So although it is 17inches, it is quite deep – between 5 & 6 cm. It also has a large power pack, about twice the size of most other ones I’ve seen…

So would this bag fit not only the laptop and power pack, but also an SL25 MkII, and an RME Fireface 400, and assorted cables? I have a Mountainsmith which gets it all in, but it’s not accepted by many airlines.

Yours hopefully,

Tiny J

28. Toby Jackson says:

Hi. I sent you a msg weeks ago asking about your bag, my 17 inch laptop, Novation SL25 mkii, RME Fireface 400 & assorted cables for it all. Are you not answering anymore?

29. kev says:

Hi, Any chance a DSI Mopho keyboard would fit the the Big Namba?

18.65″ L x 11.1″ W x 3.6″ H (47.4 cm x 28.2 cm x 9.1 cm)

Thanks

30. Steve says:

Will this bag or the remix fit native instruments kontrol s2?

31. Miguel says:

Will the Nambia Studio hold the Denon MC3000 Controller?

Thanks

32. Obsidianice says:

I’m wondering if everything i have will fit. I know a DN MC6000 will fit in the main compartment. Will I be able to fit a Macbook pro ( 15 or 17) inch and a AKAI APC40 in the secondary compartment all at the same time?

This would be absolutely perfect for me to travel with.

Thanks!

33. Robert says:

Hi,

Another will this fit question, saw it listed earlier but didn’t see the reply.
    Here goes:
    MBP 13
    Axiom 25
    Maschine
    Crane Stand Pro
    Headphones
    Some cables
    Motu Ultralite or Focusrite Saffire (switch off between them. Don’t need to pack both, just one)
    Small hard drive

Thanks,
    Robert

34. Vaughan says:

Will my Vestax VCI-400 fit in this bag?

35. josh dillard says:

Big Namba or Lil Namba … Traktor Kontrol s2

36. Ronnie says:

Hi,
    I would like to fit in the following:
    MacBookPro 15 (May 2011) in Phillips protective zipped case (and plug).
    Denon MC3000 with decksaver cover (and plug).
    Numark laptop stand
    Sennheiser HD25-C II headphones
    USB cables, XLR cables, RCA cables.
    multi-USB plug with usb cables for charging multiple devices
    5 plug power strip.

This is the regular stuff but the problem is the carrying of additional gear that I have to take in a second bag at the moment:

Panasonic GH2 camera
    Batteries/charger.
    Panasonic f2.5 14mm lens
    Nokton Voigtlander f0.95 25mm lens
    Samyang f3.5 7.5mm lens
    A small video light.

The lenses are relatively small… and from time to time I will need to take a chest support which folds up quite well. I don’t expect to be able to fit my big professional lens.. f1.7 8.5-115mm zoom lens.

37. Philip says:

Hi I just got the denon mc 6000mk2 I was wondering if this bag can hold it I have the remix bag for a smaller controller and I love it so would really like to add this one to the family.

Thabk you in advance

• Woody says:

Looks like the Denon is about 18 inches x 11 inches x 2 inches. Great fit for the Big Namba Studio Backpack. We will add it to our list!